Ami Bera (CA-07)
As a doctor, Ami Bera has always put service first, and he believes that Congress should be a place for service. That’s why Dr. Bera is fighting for the things that matter to Sacramento families.
Dr. Bera was first elected to represent Sacramento County in November 2012. As a first generation American, he attended California’s public schools from kindergarten through to medical school. Dr. Bera served this community for 21 years as a doctor, as Sacramento County’s Chief Medical Officer, and then as a Clinical Professor of Medicine at UC Davis, where he taught the next generation of doctors to care for their patients.
As someone who treated veterans in VA hospitals, Dr. Bera knows that mistreatment of veterans in need of medical care is a tragedy not to mention immoral and un-American. His office has helped hundreds of veterans through the backlog to get the treatment they’ve earned, and he’s reached across party lines to get more medical staff into the VA so that no veteran has to wait for the care they need.
Dr. Bera believes that Medicare and Social Security are guaranteed promises and key to a dignified retirement. He has fought efforts to privatize Social Security and is working to reduce waste, abuse, and fraud in Medicare to protect it for the future. He was proud to receive the endorsement of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, because he understands that we must leave decisions about a woman’s health to her and her doctor.
Dr. Bera is working with lawmakers from both parties on commonsense policies to move America forward, including slashing red tape for small businesses and cutting taxes for middle-class families.
Since being elected to office, he has:
- Co-Sponsored bipartisan legislation to reduce wait times for veterans in need of medical care by increasing the number of doctors in VA Hospitals
- Returned more than $3 million to Sacramento County taxpayers — including thousands of veterans and seniors — in benefits that they’d earned.
- Was awarded Planned Parenthood’s 2015 Health Champion award after fighting to preserve a woman’s right to make her health-care decisions between her and her doctor.
- Sponsored and helped lead the passage of No Budget, No Pay—a law that says if Congress doesn’t do their job and pass a responsible budget, they don’t get paid.
- Refused a Congressional pension until Medicare and Social Security are secure for all Americans.
- Become a leader of the No Labels’ Problem Solvers, a group of more than 70 Members of Congress from both parties who are working together to find solutions to our problems and get past partisan gridlock.
Dr. Bera has seen firsthand how education can improve lives, and how too many cannot afford the education or job training they need to compete in our changing economy. He continues to put politics aside to rebuild an economy that values hard work and prioritizes the middle class. Dr. Bera would be honored to earn your vote.
Ami and his wife Janine live in Elk Grove with their daughter, Sydra (when she’s home from college).